Subject: Re: bug#31149: 27.0.50; (gui-get-selection nil 'text/html) returns mis-decoded text

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 12:02:42 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Ah, thanks.  So should I go ahead and make this change?  It looks pretty
>> trivial, but I guess there could be interop problems with code that
>> assumes the current odd behaviour.
>
> What odd behavior is that?  I understood that we just display binary
> garbage, something that no one should miss.

We don't have any commands to yank HTML, so we don't display anything,
but I've got code like the following in one of my out-of-tree packages
(which will fail after the fix).  I'm with that, though, but I have no
idea how much other people would be impacted.

(defun ewp-yank-html ()

[...]

  (let ((data (loop for type in '(PRIMARY CLIPBOARD)
		    for data = (x-get-selection-internal type 'text/html)

[...]

      ;; Somehow the selection is UTF-16 when selecting text in
      ;; Firefox.
      (decode-coding-string data 'utf-16-le)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no