Subject: bug#31148: 26.1; require w32 errors

From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 09:50:47 -0500

Hi -

If you try

(require 'w32-fns)

or

(require 'w32-fns nil t)

It produces an error void-function set-message-beep. This is reproducible for me from emacs -q.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function set-message-beep)
  set-message-beep(nil)
  byte-code("\300\301\302\303#\210\304\301\302\305#\210\306\307\310\"\210\311\303!\207" [defalias set-w32-system-coding-system w32-set-system-coding-system nil make-obsolete "26.1" defvaralias w32-system-coding-system locale-coding-system set-message-beep] 4)
  #<subr require>(w32-fns nil t)
  ad-Advice-require(#<subr require> w32-fns nil t)
  apply(ad-Advice-require #<subr require> (w32-fns nil t))
  require(w32-fns nil t)
  eval((require 'w32-fns nil t) nil)
  eval-expression((require 'w32-fns nil t) nil nil 127)
  funcall-interactively(eval-expression (require 'w32-fns nil t) nil nil 127)
  call-interactively(eval-expression nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-expression)

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2018-04-10 built on earth
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --with-mailutils --with-xml2 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xft
 --with-xaw3d --with-imagemagick 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic
 -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -fno-plt'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS NOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11
MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix