Subject: bug#31130: 26; Regression: intra-glossary links broken in Emacs manual

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 14:15:48 +0300

> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 10:21:43 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > C-h r
> > g Glossary
> > Go to entry "Cut and Paste".
> >
> > There you see this:
> >
> > Cut and Paste
> >      *Note Glossary---Killing::, and *note Glossary---Yanking::.
> >
> > But clicking those links does not take you to the Glossary entries for
> > Killing and Yanking, respectively.
> >
> > Instead, the first one takes you to node Acknowledgements, and the
> > second one takes you to node `Key Index'.
> >
> > This regression was introduced in Emacs 24.5.  Prior to that, in Emacs
> > 24 the links worked fine.
> 
> This works fine for me in emacs-26 -Q, admittedly on GNU/Linux, not
> Windows.

It shouldn't matter, because the Info files come from the source
tarball in this case.

Anyway, I cannot reproduce this on Windows, either, neither with Emacs
26.1 which I built myself, not with the binary from the GNU site.
Drew, are you sure you are reading the Info files that came with the
Emacs binary whose details you included in the report?  ISTR that you
reported in the past similar problems, and each time the reason turned
out to be old Info files and/or old Emacs versions.  Both Texinfo and
Emacs changed a few years ago how offsets of index entries are
calculated and used, and the change matters when the Info file has DOS
CR-LF line endings, so now old Info files and new Emacs might be
incompatible.