Subject: Re: bug#31125: 26; (emacs) `Highlight Interactively'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 19:49:39 +0300

> Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 07:45:54 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> In the Emacs manual, `i symbol TAB' shows `Highlight Interactively' as a
> place where symbols are mentioned.  They are, via
> `highlight-symbol-at-point'.  This perhaps the only place in the Emacs
> manual where symbols are mentioned.

No, there's also "symbol search", shown after I type TAB in the above
recipe.

> 1. It seems (?), by tracking backward through `highlight-symbol-at-point'
> and then (thing-at-point 'symbol), that `highlight-symbol-at-point' is
> about highlighting Lisp symbols, not text that has characters with
> symbol-constituent syntax.  If so, it would be helpful for the doc of
> `highlight-symbol*' to specifically say "Lisp symbol".

No, it isn't only about Lisp.  I just tried this command in a buffer
whose major mode is C, and it works there as I'd expect.

Why did you decide that it was only about Lisp symbols?