Subject: 26; (emacs) `Highlight Interactively'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 07:45:54 -0700 (PDT)

In the Emacs manual, `i symbol TAB' shows `Highlight Interactively' as a
place where symbols are mentioned.  They are, via
`highlight-symbol-at-point'.  This perhaps the only place in the Emacs
manual where symbols are mentioned.

1. It seems (?), by tracking backward through `highlight-symbol-at-point'
and then (thing-at-point 'symbol), that `highlight-symbol-at-point' is
about highlighting Lisp symbols, not text that has characters with
symbol-constituent syntax.  If so, it would be helpful for the doc of
`highlight-symbol*' to specifically say "Lisp symbol".

2. Assuming that it is in fact about Lisp symbols, please consider
adding a link in (emacs) `Highlight Interactively' to (elisp) `Symbols',
so readers of the Emacs manual can more easily discover something about
Lisp symbols.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2018-04-10
Repository revision: c267421647510319d2a70554e42f0d1c394dba0a
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''