Subject: 25.2: Feature Reuqest: apropos-value: limit scope [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2018 03:39:16 -0400

I've begun using function apropos-value, and find that its ouput is
undesirably huge, because the feature prints out the entire value of
each variable that contains a match.

Some of this can be reduced when considegring that in most cases, I know
in advance that a value will be present in some very commonly used huge
variables, that won't be of use to me (eg. kill-ring,
minibuffer-history).f

A better solution would be an option to initially print only the names
of symbol that contain a match. The user can then easily view any value
of interest, because the output buffer already includes a feature that
pressing return on any symbol in the output list will display the
documentation for the symbol, which will include the variable's value.

Attached was my first thought at a solution, using an exclude list to
exclude certain variables from a search. As I said, upon further
consideration, I decided it would be better to abbreviate the output
buffer to just a list of symbol names, but I came to that conclusion
after writing the snippet.

-- 
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0