Subject: bug#31093: closed (Re: bug#31093:)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 05:50:02 +0000

Your bug report

#31093: 24.5; tramp freezes with "decoding file using base64" message when saving

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31093: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31093
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31093:
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Armaan Sood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 06:49:25 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Armaan Sood <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Open a file in tramp, try to save it. It stalls on "decoding file
>> using base64" and commands don't work (C-g doesn't work).
>> Couldn't find a fix for it online.
>
> (I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately didn't get a
> response at the time.)
>
> Are you still seeing this bug?  If so, can you `(setq debug-on-quit t)'
> and see if you can then break whatever it's doing and get a backtrace?

More information was requested, but none was given within 13 weeks, so
I'm closing this bug.  If this is still an issue, please reply to this
email (use "Reply to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the
bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

From: Armaan Sood <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 21:57:44 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

From: ARMAAN-PC <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 24.5; Tramp crashes
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 21:56:46 -0700
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
--text follows this line--

Open a file in tramp, try to save it. It stalls on "decoding file
using base64" and commands don't work (C-g doesn't work).
Couldn't find a fix for it online.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2017-09-20 on lcy01-07, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `Colin Harrison', version 11.0.60900031
System Description:    Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  goto-address-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  view-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading 00debian-vars...done
Key Chord mode on
Loading cua-base...done
Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Note: file is write protected
View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils browse-url goto-addr thingatpt view delsel paren
cua-base cus-start cus-load cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs linum key-chord advice
flymake compile comint ansi-color ring auto-complete edmacro kmacro
popup flycheck json find-func help-mode rx subr-x seq seq-24 dash
help-fns cl-macs cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib info easymenu package
epg-config time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 240246 15143)
 (symbols 48 30013 1)
 (miscs 40 295 246)
 (strings 32 57177 39233)
 (string-bytes 1 1741982)
 (vectors 16 23684)
 (vector-slots 8 529485 5951)
 (floats 8 107 313)
 (intervals 56 407 140)
 (buffers 960 13)
 (heap 1024 36519 830))