Subject: bug#31091: 25.2: Feature Request: auto exit upon memory exhaustion warning

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2018 13:26:08 -0400

Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2018-04-08 12:30, Noam Postavsky wrote:
>> Hmm, I guess I'm not sure what advantage an abrubt shutdown has over a
>> warning.
>
> The most useful case would be of a user is running a time-consuming
> operation or an asynchronous operation, maybe a long repetitive macro,
> for which the current warning would be generated at near the beginning
> of the operation and system freeze would happen in mid-operation.

The final out-of-memory message comes via `signal', so any operation
would be interrupted.  Although the almost-out-of-memory warnings just
use display-warnings, so they don't interrupt anything.

>>  And as far as I understand, you never saw the warnings
>> messages,
>
> I did see the mini-buffer advice and warning, and ignored it, and I did
> see the mode line warning, and ignored it. Added to the long list of
> things I've done -- once.

Hmm, I'm surprised you actually hit the warning.  Are you on a 32 bit
system with about 4GB RAM?  I guess you could hit the 75% warning at 3GB
allocation, and then start swapping soon after, if other processes are
using about 1GB RAM.