Subject: Re: bug#31088: Use '@' as version number separator in guix output

From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 22:36:28 -0700

Hi everyone!

I've committed this as ede121de426f9c56820852888a0b370f0ccbce49 on the
master branch.  If anything breaks on Hydra or elsewhere, please don't
hesitate to revert it.

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>> diff --git a/NEWS b/NEWS
>> index 2c898e65f..9769bfc87 100644
>> --- a/NEWS
>> +++ b/NEWS
>> @@ -777,6 +777,7 @@ [email-masked]
>>  
>>  ** Programming interfaces
>>  
>> +*** package-full-name (guix packages) now uses "@" instead of "-" as its delimiter.
>
> This is under “Changes in 0.14.0 (since 0.13.0)”, which is probably not
> what you want.  :-)

Ah!  Good catch.  I've added a new section for 0.15.0 - which I'm sure
will be released soon!  ;-)

>> +(define* (package-full-name package #:key (delimiter "@"))>
> +  "Return the full name of PACKAGE--i.e., `NAME@VERSION'.  By specifying
>> +DELIMITER (a string), you can customize what will appear between the name and
>> +the version.  By default, DELIMITER is \"@\"."
>
> I’d prefer #:optional instead of #:key, it’d be less verbose.

Sounds good.  I've implemented your suggestion.

> Other than that, please make sure “make check” passes, and make sure
> this doesn’t trigger a full rebuild (from the patch it looks you already
> checked both of these, but who knows ;-)).

I've confirmed the following:

1) It builds, and "make check" passes [1].

2) It does not trigger a full rebuild.  I tested this by first invoking
"./pre-inst-env guix system build gnu/system/examples/desktop.tmpl"
before and after the change.

3) I reconfigured my own system a few days ago, too, using this change.
So far, I have observed no problems.

> OK with this.

Thank you for the review!  And thank you, Pierre, for reporting the bug!

Footnotes: 
[1]  tests/guix-system.sh fails, but it was already failing on the
master branch.  I will open a bug report for that if there is not
already one open.

-- 
Chris