Subject: bug#31088: closed (Re: bug#31088: Use '@' as version number separator in guix output)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 05:37:05 +0000

Your bug report

#31088: Use '@' as version number separator in guix output

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31088: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31088
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31088: Use '@' as version number separator in guix output
From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès), Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]>, Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 22:36:28 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi everyone!

I've committed this as ede121de426f9c56820852888a0b370f0ccbce49 on the
master branch.  If anything breaks on Hydra or elsewhere, please don't
hesitate to revert it.

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>> diff --git a/NEWS b/NEWS
>> index 2c898e65f..9769bfc87 100644
>> --- a/NEWS
>> +++ b/NEWS
>> @@ -777,6 +777,7 @@ [email-masked]
>>  
>>  ** Programming interfaces
>>  
>> +*** package-full-name (guix packages) now uses "@" instead of "-" as its delimiter.
>
> This is under “Changes in 0.14.0 (since 0.13.0)”, which is probably not
> what you want.  :-)

Ah!  Good catch.  I've added a new section for 0.15.0 - which I'm sure
will be released soon!  ;-)

>> +(define* (package-full-name package #:key (delimiter "@"))>
> +  "Return the full name of PACKAGE--i.e., `NAME@VERSION'.  By specifying
>> +DELIMITER (a string), you can customize what will appear between the name and
>> +the version.  By default, DELIMITER is \"@\"."
>
> I’d prefer #:optional instead of #:key, it’d be less verbose.

Sounds good.  I've implemented your suggestion.

> Other than that, please make sure “make check” passes, and make sure
> this doesn’t trigger a full rebuild (from the patch it looks you already
> checked both of these, but who knows ;-)).

I've confirmed the following:

1) It builds, and "make check" passes [1].

2) It does not trigger a full rebuild.  I tested this by first invoking
"./pre-inst-env guix system build gnu/system/examples/desktop.tmpl"
before and after the change.

3) I reconfigured my own system a few days ago, too, using this change.
So far, I have observed no problems.

> OK with this.

Thank you for the review!  And thank you, Pierre, for reporting the bug!

Footnotes: 
[1]  tests/guix-system.sh fails, but it was already failing on the
master branch.  I will open a bug report for that if there is not
already one open.

-- 
Chris

Subject: Use '@' as version number separator in guix output
From: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 22:28:55 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

At the moment it seems that there is no syntactic different between the
name and the version number in the output of Guix.

The other day I tried to extract the version number of package
dependencies with "everything after the last '-'", until I stumbled on
the following:

	> guix package --show=ncdu | recsel -R dependencies
	ncurses-6.0-20170930

Here the version number contains a '-'.  Because of this it makes the
problem undecidable I think.

Would it be possible to separate the package name from the version
number with '@' instead?

--
Pierre Neidhardt