Subject: Re: bug#31079: Windows - Emacs-25.3.1 Can't find source.tex file

From: Liyu Gong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 09:30:28 -0400

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for looking into it. My system environment is as follows

aa.tex is at D:/aa.tex

OS: Windows 10 Home

Emacs: GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2017-09-26, which is
downloaded from the official gnu ftp site

TeX distribution: texlive-2017

Output of M-x TeX-submit-bug-report:

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2017-09-26
Package: 12.1.1

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2018-03-20"
 window-system 'w32
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("~/.emacs.d/auctex"
"d:/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-12.1.1/style" "d:/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
"d:/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
 TeX-auto-save t
 TeX-parse-self t
 TeX-master nil
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX" "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error)
%(extraopts) %`%S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
                     (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
"Run plain TeX")
                    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
(latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
                    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %t"
TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with Info
output")
                    ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) --html %t"
TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with HTML
output")
                    ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %(extraopts)
%`%S%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
                    ("ConTeXt" "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil
%(extraopts) %(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run
ConTeXt once")
                    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts)
%(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt until
completion")
                    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %s" TeX-run-BibTeX nil t :help
"Run BibTeX") ("Biber" "biber %s" TeX-run-Biber nil t :help "Run
Biber")
                    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help
"Run Viewer") ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the
file")
                    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help "View
the printer queue" :visible TeX-queue-command)
                    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t t
:help "Generate PostScript file")
                    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil
t :help "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
                    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx %d" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil t
:help "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
                    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil t :help
"Convert PostScript file to PDF")
                    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %s" TeX-run-command
nil t :help "Run makeglossaries to create glossary file")
                    ("Index" "makeindex %s" TeX-run-index nil t :help
"Run makeindex to create index file")
                    ("upMendex" "upmendex %s" TeX-run-index t t :help
"Run upmendex to create index file")
                    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil t :help
"Run xindy to create index file")
                    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil
(latex-mode) :help "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
                    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil
(latex-mode) :help "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
                    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")"
TeX-run-function nil t :help "Spell-check the document")
                    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
"Delete generated intermediate files")
                    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil
t :help "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
                    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help "Run an
arbitrary command"))
 )

Content of the process buffer (displayed by C-c C-l):

Running `LaTeX' on `aa' with ``pdflatex  -file-line-error
-interaction=nonstopmode "\input" "aa.tex"''
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.18 (TeX Live 2017/W32TeX)
(preloaded format=pdflatex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
LaTeX2e <2017-04-15>
Babel <3.18> and hyphenation patterns for 84 language(s) loaded.
! I can't find file `aa.tex'.
<*> \input aa.tex

(Press Enter to retry, or Control-Z to exit)
Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> \input aa.tex

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
Transcript written on texput.log.

TeX Output exited abnormally with code 1 at Sat Apr  7 09:20:05

Thanks!
Liyu

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 6:52 AM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Liyu and Ikumi,
>
> Here: Windows 7 32-bit, Emacs 25.3.1, and AUCTeX 12.1.1 from elpa, and the file compiles smoothly for me too. I have no clue where the problem could be. Maybe problems with quotes and spaces in the path name, combined with a customized tex command? Liyu, it'd be useful if you shared the additional debugging info that Ikumi suggested
>
>> Additional information might be helpful, e.g.
>> - The output of M-x TeX-submit-bug-report
>> - The content of the process buffer (displayed by C-c C-l)
>> - The path name of directory where aa.tex is saved
>> - The type and year of your TeX distribution
>> - Whatever you think might be clue to resolve this issue
>
> Cheers,
> J