Subject: bug#31068: 27.0.50; Renaming archives fails due to tramp-archive

From: Allen Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 00:31:55 -0700

1. touch /tmp/foo.7z
2. emacs -Q
3. C-x C-f /tmp RET
4. Use R to rename foo.7z to bar.7z

An error is signaled.  The debug output:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (user-error "Package `tramp-archive' not
supported")
  signal(user-error ("Package `tramp-archive' not supported"))
  tramp-error(nil user-error "Package `tramp-archive' not supported")
  apply(tramp-error nil user-error "Package `tramp-archive' not supported" nil)
  tramp-user-error(nil "Package `tramp-archive' not supported")
  tramp-archive-file-name-handler(expand-file-name "/tmp/bar.7z/" nil)
  expand-file-name("/tmp/bar.7z/" nil)
  apply(expand-file-name ("/tmp/bar.7z/" nil))
  tramp-autoload-file-name-handler(expand-file-name "/tmp/bar.7z/" nil)
  expand-file-name("/tmp/bar.7z/")
  dired-fun-in-all-buffers("/tmp/bar.7z/" nil dired-rename-subdir-1
"/tmp/bar.7z/" "/tmp/foo.7z/")
  dired-rename-subdir("/tmp/bar.7z" "/tmp/foo.7z")
  dired-rename-file("/tmp/bar.7z" "/tmp/foo.7z" nil)
  dired-create-files(dired-rename-file "Move" ("/tmp/bar.7z")
#f(compiled-function (from) #<bytecode 0x1aa60cd>) t)
  dired-do-create-files(move dired-rename-file "Move" nil t "Rename")
  dired-do-rename(nil)
  funcall-interactively(dired-do-rename nil)
  call-interactively(dired-do-rename nil nil)
  command-execute(dired-do-rename)

This error reliably happens the first time after Emacs is started; it
often goes away after the first time.  The file is renamed despite the
error.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 9, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.29)
 of 2018-04-05 built on cielnosurge
Repository revision: 0b690a83f674a160ccbaa9f374226b1fcfb2d535
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Arch Linux

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Debug on Error enabled globally
("^Exit the snippet first!$" beginning-of-line beginning-of-buffer
end-of-line end-of-buffer end-of-file buffer-read-only
file-supersession mark-inactive)
Entering debugger...
Mark set

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11
THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name