Subject: 27.0.50; Gnus: Make configurable what to show when selecting a group

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2018 12:55:05 +0200

Hello,

It would be nice if there was a way to influence which articles are
shown when selecting a group in Gnus.  I recently discovered the Gnus
registry.  It would be cool if I could change the set of shown articles
based on the data in the registry (custom marks, for example).  I think
it could be something as simple as
`gnus-alter-articles-to-read-function', a variable bound to a function
that one can set or advice.

Thanks,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 11, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.29)
 of 2018-04-02 built on drachen
Repository revision: a8ea7cd40faa41e4ee6f862c8f685d53c6d390af
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
Auto-saving...done
Saving file /home/micha/Treasure/today/random-notes.txt...
Wrote /home/micha/Treasure/today/random-notes.txt
Auto-saving...done
Saving file /home/micha/Treasure/today/random-notes.txt...
Wrote /home/micha/Treasure/today/random-notes.txt
Making completion list... [17 times]

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 THREADS
JSON LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  whitespace-mode: t
  ac-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  on-screen-global-mode: t
  ml-scale-mode: t
  helm-backup-mode: t
  el-search-hi-lock-mode: t
  interaction-log-mode: t
  highlight-defined-mode: t
  helm-autoresize-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  magit-wip-after-apply-mode: t
  magit-wip-after-save-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  smart-yank-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  cl-old-struct-compat-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: my-prog-do-auto-fill

Load-path shadows:
/home/micha/gnu-emacs/elisp/linkd hides /home/micha/gnu-emacs/elisp/linkd/linkd
/home/micha/gnu-emacs/elisp/my-stuff/on-screen hides /home/micha/gnu-emacs/elisp/my-stuff/on-screen.el/on-screen
/home/micha/gnu-emacs/elisp/my-stuff/on-screen hides /home/micha/gnu-emacs/elisp/my-stuff/on-screen/on-screen
/home/micha/gnu-emacs/elisp/helm-swoop/helm-swoop hides /home/micha/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-swoop-20180215.354/helm-swoop
/home/micha/gnu-emacs/elisp/my-stuff/helm-backup/features/support/env hides /usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/env
/home/micha/.emacs.d/elpa/tabulated-list-20120406.1351/tabulated-list hides /usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tabulated-list

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message footnote mail-extr emacsbug sendmail timeclock
misearch multi-isearch view cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai
cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs nndoc nndraft nnmh gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual rot13 disp-table utf-7
gnus-cache network-stream starttls nntp gnorb gnorb-org gnorb-bbdb
gnorb-registry gnorb-gnus gnorb-utils org-capture org-attach org-id
nngnorb gnus-article-notes nnmairix nnml gnus-ml gnus-msg gnus-registry
registry eieio-base gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
hl-line helm-x-files helm-for-files hide-region org-rmail org-mhe
org-irc org-info org-gnus nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader org-docview org-bibtex bibtex
whitespace flyspell ispell elec-pair org-bbdb org-w3m org-agenda ac
icomplete default-dark-theme cus-theme bbdb-anniv bbdb-com bbdb
bbdb-site yagoc windresize windmove w3m doc-view image-mode timezone
w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image
w3m-proc w3m-util undo-tree diff rainbow-delimiters paredit orglink
on-screen hexrgb face-remap ml-scale helm-backup s vc-git linkd
el-search-hi-lock hi-lock el-search-pp el-search-x elisp-hacker-tools
interaction-log highlight-defined highlight frame-fns avoid helm-browse
cus-edit cus-start cus-load helm-dictionary helm-sys helm-external
helm-lacarte lacarte helm-descbinds helm-ring helm-misc helm-config
helm-easymenu helm-command helm-mode helm-man helm-imenu helm-elisp
helm-eval edebug helm-bookmark helm-net helm-adaptive helm-info
magit-bookmark bookmark helm-org helm-files helm-tags helm-locate
helm-buffers helm-grep wgrep-helm wgrep grep compile helm-regexp
helm-utils helm-types helm-help helm helm-source eieio-compat
helm-multi-match helm-lib fracy folding-isearch folding emacs-lock+
emacs-lock diff-hl vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher centered-cursor-mode
autofold apt-utils edmacro kmacro jka-compr browse-url vdiff-magit
magit-ediff magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-collab ghub
url-http tls gnutls url-gw nsm url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf mailcap
let-alist magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff magit-core magit-autorevert
autorevert filenotify magit-process magit-margin magit-mode git-commit
magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm magit-popup log-edit message
puny rfc822 mml mml-sec gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util add-log with-editor cl-extra async-bytecomp async dash vdiff
smerge-mode hydra lv diff-mode smart-yank server rect tramp-cache
tramp-sh recentf tree-widget wid-edit foldout org-protocol org-element
avl-tree org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs ls-lisp ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tramp-archive
tramp-gvfs zeroconf url-util dbus xml filecache em-dirs esh-var esh-cmd
esh-opt esh-io esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module
esh-mode esh-util ediff-x ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff el-search noutline outline
easy-mmode hideshow help-fns help-mode stream-x stream thunk cl-print
pcase rmc dired-x dired-aux find-dired dired dired-loaddefs appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs diary-general cal-iso cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs epa-file epa derived epg savehist which-func imenu time
winner time-date paren delsel image-file debug tramp trampver
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs ucs-normalize shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring parse-time format-spec advice iso-transl pp thingatpt
finder find-func rx automenu loadhist iterators generator mh-elisp-utils
subr-x autoload radix-tree lisp-mnt warnings mule-util tex-site cl
quarter-plane-autoloads vline-autoloads info finder-inf package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1212145 158996)
 (symbols 48 62697 3)
 (miscs 40 7036 2201)
 (strings 32 332364 10496)
 (string-bytes 1 11516202)
 (vectors 16 107244)
 (vector-slots 8 2339298 245432)
 (floats 8 1171 1145)
 (intervals 56 2174 1055)
 (buffers 992 34))