Subject: bug#31057: 27.0.50; Gnus: Make configurable what to show when selecting a group

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 11:34:15 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > It would be nice if there was a way to influence which articles are
> > shown when selecting a group in Gnus.  I recently discovered the Gnus
> > registry.  It would be cool if I could change the set of shown articles
> > based on the data in the registry (custom marks, for example).  I think
> > it could be something as simple as
> > `gnus-alter-articles-to-read-function', a variable bound to a function
> > that one can set or advice.
>
> But isn't that what the `gnus-alter-articles-to-read-function' variable
> does?

That's what I also expected, but it doesn't seem to be the case.  I
installed an advice for gnus-alter-articles-to-read-function, and also
verified that the advice worked correctly, but it didn't do that.  After
reading the code a bit, I got the impression that
`gnus-alter-articles-to-read-function' is for controlling what articles
are fetched (additionally) from the server, but not which are shown in
the summary.

Michael.