Subject: Re: [bug#31056] [PATCH] gnu: emacs-org: fix byte compilation

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2018 17:49:38 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

>> The problem has been around for years, so I have given up hope for an
>> upstream fix.
>
> I don't think it is true. The problem is that Emacs ships with a very
> old Org. The problem is not exclusively on the Org side.

I'd even say not at all. Nothing in Emacs seems to be made for having
two versions of the same library on load-path, so this shouldn't
happen.

For me, the problem was integrating org-mode into Emacs without at the
same time synchronizing releases, though I am sure there were good
reasons for that as well.

>> I doubt anyone will work on a fix in the meantime.
>
> I suggested a possible fix. Would that work?

No idea. All I did is translate to Guix a well-known trick for fixing
the problem with ELPA-based installations.

My Emacs-Fu isn't advanced enough to even understand what really causes
the error. Much less to judge if the fix you propose would work, and if
it does, how many similar problems would need to be fixed after that
one.

Konrad.