Subject: Re: [bug#31056] [PATCH] gnu: emacs-org: fix byte compilation

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2018 12:13:50 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your comments!

> IMO, compiling a dedicated Emacs only for Org seems a bit overkill.

True, but then most users will get emacs-org as a substitute, so the
main impact is on the build farms.

> I'd rather have it fixed upstream than papering over the problem.

The problem has been around for years, so I have given up hope for an
upstream fix. Emacs 26 will include org-mode 9, so the problem will go
away when release 26 becomes official. I doubt anyone will work on a fix
in the meantime.

Concerning Guix, the question is if we care about fixing the bug before
switching to Emacs 26.  The number of users concerned may be small (it's
only org-babel that is affected, not the more widely used PIM
functionality of org-mode), but for those users it's a show-stopper.  If
I invested much time into this patch, it's because I cannot work without
it.

Konrad.