Subject: Re: bug#31050: 27.0.50; command for restoring backups

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 15:27:58 +0200

[email-masked] (Charles A. Roelli) writes:

> There's already a command for recovering an "auto-save" file (M-x
> recover-file), but no command for restoring a backup file.  We should
> add one.  It might also be helpful to bind it in the "File" menu of
> the menu-bar.

Hm...  Well, there may be a number of backup files (~3~ etc), while
there's only one auto-save file...  and, also, recovering an auto-save
file is really recovering something that's a work in progress, which
reverting to a backup file is more akin to reverting to an older version
in a version control system.

So I'm not sure whether such a command makes that much sense -- it's
something that might be used to seldom that nobody would remember that
it's there, and looking at old versions of files is really easy using
any of the standard ways of looking at files.

Any opinions?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no