Subject: bug#31039: closed (Re: bug#31039: 27.0.50; allow silencing auto-save)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2018 09:32:04 +0000

Your bug report

#31039: 27.0.50; allow silencing auto-save

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31039: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31039
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31039: 27.0.50; allow silencing auto-save
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Federico <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2018 12:31:34 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Federico <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 20:02:28 -0300
> Cc: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>, Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> Noam, Eli: I've applied the fixes you have both mentioned. I ended up
> using DEFVAR_BOOL to create the variable, but I'm not sure I used the
> variable correctly when calling Fdo_auto_save (the function only takes
> Lisp_Object). I have attached a new patch.
> 
> Regarding the copyright assignment, mine was approved one or two weeks ago.

Thanks, pushed to the master branch.

A few minor nits for your future contributions:

  . For changes in the manuals, the name of the node where the change
    is done should be mentioned in parentheses, as if it were a
    function.
  . Please make sure the NEWS entries are filled according to the
    default setting of fill-column (use M-q to do that).
  . It is preferable to explicitly mention the new functions/variables
    in the log entries for NEWS and the manuals.

You can look at the changes I actually pushed to see how I handled
those issues in this commit.

Thank you for your contribution; your copyright assignment is now on
file.

Subject: 27.0.50; allow silencing auto-save
From: Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 02:06:22 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Currently, keyboard.c calls do-auto-save directly and passes nil to the
NO-MESSAGE arg. It would be nice if there was a way to pass t in these
situations in order to suppress the message. Perhaps a new var to
suppress the auto-save message in all cases?

This has been asked about and/or hacked around (by disabling the normal
auto-save mechanisms and adding an idle timer) a number of times:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/63gmhd/silencing_autosave_messages/
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/12556/disabling-the-auto-saving-done-message
http://pragmaticemacs.com/emacs/make-emacs-a-bit-quieter/