Subject: bug#31032: can't read emacs - unusable

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 19:31:00 -0400

K Richard Pixley <[email-masked]> writes:

> On my private configurations, I can set them to turn off font-lock
> mode, but from the command line, even --eval='(global-font-lock-mode
> 0)' doesn't seem to be working.

Perhaps the configuration explicitly enables font-lock?  Why not use -Q
so you don't have to deal with random configurations?

    emacs -Q --eval='(global-font-lock-mode 0)'

I don't there is any command line option to disable colour in graphical
mode.  Possibly you could disable font-lock later, e.g.,

    emacs --eval='(add-hook (quote after-init-hook) (lambda () (global-font-lock-mode 0)))'

To completely get rid of all colour, you could evaluate:

    (dolist (face (face-list))
      (when (face-foreground face)
        (set-face-foreground face 'unspecified))
      (when (face-background face)
        (set-face-background face 'unspecified)))

(again, this would probably have to be done in the after-init-hook, if
the configuration makes its own colour settings to faces)