Subject: Re: bug#31027: 27.0.50; xref, tags-location-ring equivalent

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 01:14:14 +0300

On 4/4/18 11:59 PM, Juri Linkov wrote:

>> Whether next-error-function is going to be local or not, is subject to
>> discussion, see https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20489 and
>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30674.
> 
> I have a wish to close these overgrown bugreports and redesign this feature
> from scratch ;)

The newer one is not so overgrown yet. I do wish we revert the part 
where next-error-function is buffer local, though, and then you could 
design this possibility as a user option. We discussed the approaches, 
but it comes out pretty complex no matter the way you look at it.

>>> navigate to other "errors".  An "xref-location-ring" would be simpler.
>>
>> What's simpler about that? You'd need some new commands to use it as
>> well, right?
> 
> Is the idea to use a ring of next-error capable buffers?
> So that the next-error command in the current buffer
> will return a list of all potentially next-error capable buffers
> and allow the user to select the required one.

Umm, I don't think the request is anything so ambitious.

Charles has been asking for a ring to store the navigation locations 
visited by xref only.