Subject: [bug#31026] [PATCH 0/2] Split off [email-masked].

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 21:20:53 +0200

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 18:19:21 +0000
Nils Gillmann <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Danny Milosavljevic transcribed 260 bytes:
> > Prepare for mrustc bootstrap.  
> 
> Woo, good news. Did I miss an email 

I've been trying to use mrustc to bootstrap rust on and off for quite
some time now.  The upstream authors have been busy too and it's far enough
that I have a working rust-1.19.0 compiler compiled by mrustc in /gnu/store :)

The libstd still had some rough edges - and one test takes about 30 h of
building - so it will still take some time until this is done.

I thought in the meantime I'd clean up and split up the patches.

These here are some of the patches that can be applied without switching to mrustc
yet (that is, they just refactor stuff).

>or does this still require some review?

Right now, mrustc officially *supports* x86_64 targets only.

aarch64 is under review upstream (support is there but unfinished).

We will only be able to use mrustc to bootstrap if it supports more architectures.

We will see when that comes to pass.

mrustc is written in a way that it can compile [email-masked] so that's why this
exact version is in this patchset.  I hope in the future mrustc can compile
newer versions of Rust.

> I can reserve some time for building this tonight and review tomorrow at some
> point.

Nice!

I've attached my current gnu/packages/rust.scm here - which includes some things
not ready to merge yet.  But it should (famous last words) bootstrap rust 1.24
starting from mrustc in multiple steps.