Subject: bug#31023: --verbosity=4 breaks build?

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 23:48:03 +0200

Hello Martin,

As a foreword, note that ‘--verbosity’ is almost useless, even to Guix
developers.  I think we should hide it under a weird name, maybe
‘--daemon-debug’?

Martin Castillo <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I found this while trying to test offloading.
> The both attached logs are the results of
>
> guix build grep --no-substitutes -M 1 --verbosity=3 2>buildsuc
> guix build grep --no-substitutes -M 1 --verbosity=4 2>builderr
> # I aborted the first after a few seconds

I don’t see anything fishy in ‘builderr’.  What makes you think it
failed?

> The command was executed on guixsd with guix 0.14.0.3450-be5ed.
> Using -M 0 it tells me to increase -M or enabled distributed builds,
> even though guix offload test succeds. The offload machine is a
> raspberry pi. Is guix able to crosscompile when offloading on other
> architectures?

Your Raspberry will handle the build if and only if you’re requesting an
armhf-linux build.  That is, if your machine is an x86_64 box, you’ll
want to type:

  guix build grep -s armhf-linux

in which case the build will go to the Raspberry.

Note that this is *not* cross-compilation.  It’s simply native
compilation offloaded to a separate machine.

For cross-compilation, see ‘--target’:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Additional-Build-Options.html

HTH,
Ludo’.