Subject: bug#45857: closed (Re: bug#45857: 28.0.50; Not possible to set package-user-dir in early-init.el)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 17:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#30994: 28.0.50; Not possible to set package-user-dir in early-init.el

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30994: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30994
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#45857: 28.0.50; Not possible to set package-user-dir in early-init.el
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 12:11:57 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Maybe some time in the future this need will re-appear at which point we
> may want to introduce some fancier system to control which var is
> initialized when, but I think for now the patch below is
> a better solution.

Pushed,

        Stefan

>
>         Stefan
>
>
> 2021-01-15  Stefan Monnier  <[email-masked]>
>
>     * lisp/startup.el: Fix bug#45857, bug#30994, and bug#45913.
>
>     (command-line): Don't re-evaluate the `custom-delayed-init-variables`
>     a second time after reading the `early-init.el` file.
>     (x-apply-session-resources): Set `blink-cursor-mode` rather than
>     `no-blinking-cursor`.
>
>     * lisp/frame.el (blink-cursor-start): Turn `blink-cursor-mode` off
>     if `blink-cursor-mode` was set to nil.
>     (blink-cursor-mode): Default to it being enabled regardless of
>     `window-system`.
>
>
> diff --git a/lisp/frame.el b/lisp/frame.el
> index e2d7f21a49..06aab269dd 100644
> --- a/lisp/frame.el
> +++ b/lisp/frame.el
> @@ -2552,13 +2552,15 @@ blink-cursor-start
>  This starts the timer `blink-cursor-timer', which makes the cursor blink
>  if appropriate.  It also arranges to cancel that timer when the next
>  command starts, by installing a pre-command hook."
> -  (when (null blink-cursor-timer)
> +  (cond
> +   ((null blink-cursor-mode) (blink-cursor-mode -1))
> +   ((null blink-cursor-timer)
>      ;; Set up the timer first, so that if this signals an error,
>      ;; blink-cursor-end is not added to pre-command-hook.
>      (setq blink-cursor-blinks-done 1)
>      (blink-cursor--start-timer)
>      (add-hook 'pre-command-hook #'blink-cursor-end)
> -    (internal-show-cursor nil nil)))
> +    (internal-show-cursor nil nil))))
>  
>  (defun blink-cursor-timer-function ()
>    "Timer function of timer `blink-cursor-timer'."
> @@ -2637,9 +2639,8 @@ blink-cursor-mode
>  terminals, cursor blinking is controlled by the terminal."
>    :init-value (not (or noninteractive
>  		       no-blinking-cursor
> -		       (eq system-type 'ms-dos)
> -		       (not (display-blink-cursor-p))))
> -  :initialize 'custom-initialize-delay
> +		       (eq system-type 'ms-dos)))
> +  :initialize #'custom-initialize-delay
>    :group 'cursor
>    :global t
>    (blink-cursor-suspend)
> diff --git a/lisp/startup.el b/lisp/startup.el
> index 552802a38d..7011fbf458 100644
> --- a/lisp/startup.el
> +++ b/lisp/startup.el
> @@ -1172,6 +1172,7 @@ command-line
>          ;; are dependencies between them.
>          (nreverse custom-delayed-init-variables))
>    (mapc #'custom-reevaluate-setting custom-delayed-init-variables)
> +  (setq custom-delayed-init-variables nil)
>  
>    ;; Warn for invalid user name.
>    (when init-file-user
> @@ -1301,12 +1302,6 @@ command-line
>      (startup--setup-quote-display)
>      (setq internal--text-quoting-flag t))
>  
> -  ;; Re-evaluate again the predefined variables whose initial value
> -  ;; depends on the runtime context, in case some of them depend on
> -  ;; the window-system features.  Example: blink-cursor-mode.
> -  (mapc #'custom-reevaluate-setting custom-delayed-init-variables)
> -  (setq custom-delayed-init-variables nil)
> -
>    (normal-erase-is-backspace-setup-frame)
>  
>    ;; Register default TTY colors for the case the terminal hasn't a
> @@ -1487,13 +1482,13 @@ x-apply-session-resources
>  opens a graphical frame.
>  
>  This can set the values of `menu-bar-mode', `tool-bar-mode',
> -`tab-bar-mode', and `no-blinking-cursor', as well as the `cursor' face.
> +`tab-bar-mode', and `blink-cursor-mode', as well as the `cursor' face.
>  Changed settings will be marked as \"CHANGED outside of Customize\"."
>    (let ((no-vals  '("no" "off" "false" "0"))
>  	(settings '(("menuBar" "MenuBar" menu-bar-mode nil)
>  		    ("toolBar" "ToolBar" tool-bar-mode nil)
>  		    ("scrollBar" "ScrollBar" scroll-bar-mode nil)
> -		    ("cursorBlink" "CursorBlink" no-blinking-cursor t))))
> +		    ("cursorBlink" "CursorBlink" blink-cursor-mode nil))))
>      (dolist (x settings)
>        (if (member (x-get-resource (nth 0 x) (nth 1 x)) no-vals)
>  	  (set (nth 2 x) (nth 3 x)))))

Subject: 28.0.50; Not possible to set package-user-dir in early-init.el
From: Ola x Nilsson <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 12:51:46 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

From: Ola x Nilsson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: 
--text follows this line--

In 9973019764250ac1f4d77a6b426cdd9c241151c5

* lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el: Load package-quickstart without package.el
    
the package-user-dir defcustom gets the custom-initialize-delay
intializer.  At least for me, this overrides any setting of
package-user-dir that is done in early-init.el.  As far as I can tell,
the documentation still says it should be possible and even recommended
to set package-user-dir in early-init.el.

/Ola

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-01-14 built on lap5cg80647hz
Repository revision: ebab8898cad35b07c703c62d62dcd2aebd51d637
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: sv_SE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: sv_SE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: sv_SE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  hes-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/olani/emacs-packages/cov/cov hides /home/olani/.emacs.d/elpa-lap5cg80647hz-28.0.50/cov-20201214.550/cov
/home/olani/.emacs.d/elpa-lap5cg80647hz-28.0.50/dpkg-dev-el-20190824.2314/debian-autoloads hides /home/olani/.emacs.d/elpa-lap5cg80647hz-28.0.50/debian-el-20201011.1543/debian-autoloads
/home/olani/.emacs.d/sed-mode hides /home/olani/.emacs.d/elpa-lap5cg80647hz-28.0.50/sed-mode-1.0/sed-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail coan conf-bitbake-mode checkdoc
coan-elisp skeleton delete-trailing-whitespace-mode init
highlight-escape-sequences org-jira org-jira-sdk jiralib soap-client
rng-xsd xsd-regexp org-clock woman man dired-rainbow dired-hacks-utils
autoinsert mmm-sample mmm-auto mmm-vars mmm-utils mmm-compat t32-auto
coan-list midnight desktop frameset python tramp-sh flycheck-flawfinder
flycheck-cstyle flycheck git-commit with-editor transient async-bytecomp
async server magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm log-edit message
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader pcvs-util add-log matrix-client matrix-client-room-list
derived matrix-client-frame matrix-client-images matrix-notifications
notifications dbus matrix-client-room esxml-query ordered-buffer
matrix-client-rainbow ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex
ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-element org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp org-table org-keys org-loaddefs avl-tree
generator ol ob-exp ob-core org-compat ob-eval org-macs shr kinsoku svg
dom matrix-client-faces matrix-api-r0.3.0 let-alist matrix-helpers
matrix-macros url-http mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny dns cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs frame-purpose rainbow-identifiers color ht esxml pcase xml
cl tracking shorten ov a request mail-utils f s dash-functional dash
anaphora gitignore-mode conf-mode flymake-git-whitespace flymake-proc
flymake compile text-property-search thingatpt vc-git diff-mode advice
coan-28.0.50-autoloads autoload lisp-mnt whitespace which-func imenu
cl-extra warnings paren time avoid autorevert filenotify jka-compr
use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf
coan-system docker-tramp tramp-cache tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec help-fns
radix-tree cl-print dpkg-dev-el debian-el rx url-auth edmacro kmacro
info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv early-init debug backtrace help-mode easymenu
find-func cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 512895 22186)
 (symbols 48 36265 1)
 (strings 32 168891 4833)
 (string-bytes 1 5056307)
 (vectors 16 53977)
 (vector-slots 8 638348 28943)
 (floats 8 272 120)
 (intervals 56 346 0)
 (buffers 984 17))