Subject: Re: bug#30992: Acknowledgement (27.0.50; Crash when graphics card switches)

From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 18:51:23 +0100

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 11:14:48PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > #import <Appkit/Appkit.h>
> 
> Which files in Emacs include that header?

nsgui.h, and configure must reference it in its tests too.

It’s required for both GNUstep and Cocoa.

>   > I think the last version of GCC that could compile the NS variant
>   > was 4.2.1 (4.2.4 in the MacPorts package manager), "Apple
>   > augmented" to also be able to build those typical application
>   > bundles.
> 
> This is a very bad situation.  I don't want to have code in Emacs that
> can only be compiled with Clang, and I am determined to change that.
> Will people please help me find the least disruptive way?
> 
> I would expect that most of the files of Emacs can compile with GCC
> even on MacOS, but is that so?

As far as I’m aware there is no code in Emacs itself that requires
Clang. There were a couple of Objective‐C ‘blocks’ that we removed
previously as GCC doesn’t support them.

I don’t know how we would get to a position of being able to build
with GCC and Cocoa. I assume GCC would have to support some or all of
the Obj‐C features it’s currently missing.

> What about with GNUstep?  Does Emacs compile for GCC with GNUstep?

Yes. My test‐build VM uses GCC 4.9.2 which compiles GNUstep Emacs
fine.
-- 
Alan Third