Subject: bug#30992: closed (Re: bug#30992: Acknowledgement (27.0.50; Crash when graphics card switches))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 15:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#30992: 27.0.50; Crash when graphics card switches

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30992: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30992
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30992: Acknowledgement (27.0.50; Crash when graphics card switches)
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 16:02:44 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Sat, Apr 07, 2018 at 12:07:36PM +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> On macOS High Sierra, Version 10.13.4, the newly with Xcode 9.3
> rebuilt NS variant seems to behave stable. (The previous version was
> built with the then native tools of OS X El Capitan.)

Thanks for letting us know. I’ll close this bug report, but if the
problem comes back feel free to either reopen it or create a new one.
-- 
Alan Third

Subject: 27.0.50; Crash when graphics card switches
From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 20:29:00 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

There were reports about failing graphics cards in one or more series' of MacBooks Pro. Mine, 17" early 2011 with Core i7 (2720QM, "Sandy Bridge") and upgraded to 16 GB of RAM, has AMD Radeon HD 6750M and Intel HD 3000. The main board had to be changed in 2013, I think. Apple later took over the cost. Around last Christmas the graphics defect appeared again, triggered possibly by an OS upgrade from Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) to OS X 10.11.6, El Capitan. My Mac was repaired by soldering one graphics IC (did not care which). The repair was not perfect, still "glitches" happen, particularly when RAM is overcrowded (disk has some ten GB free space for VM) because at least the built-in intel HD Graphics uses normal RAM. An application, gfxCardStatus 2.3, allows to monitor switching and also to set this or that active. I use this function to clean the screen when artefacts are left from "voluntary" switches (Google Earth or Java Console activate always the Radeon), one Java application seems to produce these artefacts often.

When clearing the screen by setting this and than that and than again this graphics active (or such) the NS variant of GNU Emacs 27.0.50 crashes very often while the X clients, GNU Emacs 26.0.90, simply continue to work. The former was built and installed by MacPorts, the latter is manually compiled.

BTW, I intend to upgrade to OS X 10.13, High Sierra, over Easter.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0, NS appkit-1404.47 Version 10.11.6 (Build 15G18013))
 of 2017-12-29 built on Sumac.fritz.box
Repository revision: 0bddbbc5aae621d5875880ac3e63f68d481df7c3
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1404
Recent messages:
Mark set [7 times]
Mark activated
Mark set [2 times]
Undo!
Mark set
Auto-saving...done
Saving file /Users/pete/böse eMail-Adressen...
Wrote /Users/pete/böse eMail-Adressen
Reverting buffer ‘pete’.
Reverting buffer ‘virtu’. [3 times]

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/opt/local --without-ns --without-dbus
 --without-gconf --with-libotf --without-m17n-flt --without-gpm
 --without-gnutls --with-xml2 --with-modules --infodir
 /opt/local/share/info/emacs --with-ns --with-imagemagick
 CC=/usr/bin/clang 'CFLAGS=-pipe -Os -arch x86_64'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Wl,-no_pie
 -arch x86_64' CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include OBJC=/usr/bin/clang
 'OBJCFLAGS=-pipe -Os -arch x86_64''

Configured features:
JPEG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK NOTIFY ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS
MODULES LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Calendar

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  midnight-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  mac-print-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Library/Application Support/Emacs/tex-site hides /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/tex-site
/Library/Application Support/Emacs/punycode hides /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/punycode
/Library/Application Support/Emacs/preview-latex hides /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/preview-latex
/Library/Application Support/Emacs/idna hides /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/idna
/Library/Application Support/Emacs/cmake-mode hides /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/Library/Application Support/Emacs/autotest-mode hides /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/autotest-mode
/Library/Application Support/Emacs/autoconf-mode hides /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/autoconf-mode
/Library/Application Support/Emacs/auctex hides /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex
/Library/Application Support/Emacs/site-start hides /Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/site-start

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-extra help-mode latexenc diff-mode
reftex-auc preview prv-emacs tex-buf reftex-dcr reftex reftex-loaddefs
reftex-vars tex-fold noutline outline font-latex byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv latex tex-ispell tex-style tex crm tex-mode elec-pair
sh-script smie executable dired-aux autorevert filenotify dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs lunar view diary-lib diary-loaddefs solar cal-dst
holidays hol-loaddefs cal-move cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs shell
pcomplete asy-mode two-mode-mode wid-edit compile comint ansi-color ring
cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs derived delsel preview-latex tex-site
auto-loads time-stamp paren midnight time cus-start cus-load desktop
frameset session edmacro kmacro mac-print-mode easy-mmode advice htmlize
cl-seq cl-macs cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 633297 30591)
 (symbols 48 34021 6)
 (miscs 40 508 3278)
 (strings 32 84521 4108)
 (string-bytes 1 2366308)
 (vectors 16 53482)
 (vector-slots 8 1624656 182164)
 (floats 8 640 608)
 (intervals 56 32955 0)
 (buffers 992 112))

—
Greetings

  Pete

To most people solutions mean finding the answers. But to chemists solutions
are things that are still all mixed up.