Subject: Re: bug#30988: 25.3; Cannot input capital sharp S using the input method german-prefix

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 16:15:00 +0300

> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 14:12:47 +0200
> 
> >> Would it make sense to also add it to all the latin-* methods that
> >> currently define a mapping for ß ?
> >
> > Which ones?  Sharp s is a German-only thing (AFAIK), so IMO it makes
> > sense to add this only to input methods that specifically support the
> > German language.
> 
> grep ß '*.el' gives:

Thanks, I added the capital sharp s character to latin-prefix and
latin-postfix input methods.  The rest are either legacy (Latin-2,
Latin-3, Latin-4, etc.) and/or not really relevant to the German
language.  RFC 1345 doesn't support the new character, and I see no
signs that it wants to add it, so I don't think we should add it
there.