Subject: bug#30978: 25.3; Suggestion: define-minor-mode should define mode-lighter variable

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 15:40:36 +0200

Howard Melman <[email-masked]> writes:

> Some packages define a user option to let users configure
> the lighter string used in the mode-line, but some just use
> a hard coded string. Packages such as diminish, delight and
> dim exist to help customize these.
>
> The define-minor-mode macro creates keymaps and other things
> to help mode authors follow conventions. If it created a
> mode-lighter user option when passed in a string (and not a
> symbol) then users would have an easier time configuring
> their mode-line without having to find and install a package
> to do so.

I think this makes sense -- define-minor-mode would define a
buffer-local variable, I guess, that the users could set to change the
lighter?

Like...  `FOO-mode-lighter' or something?  Any opinions?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no