Subject: bug#30948: [PATCH core-updates] guix: Reap finished child processes in build containers.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 22:36:38 -0500

Hi Ludo,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hey Maxim,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> I haven't yet looked at the code, but looking at the bigger picture,
>> wouldn't it be a useful behavior to have for Guile itself?  Perhaps not,
>> as there already exists a Guile init manager (GNU Shepherd), but if it's
>> something relatively simple/compact to implement, perhaps it could find
>> its place in Guile itself, just like Bash implements correctly signal
>> handling when used as a PID 1 (if I'm not mistaken).
>
> Bash is a shell whereas Guile is a programming language, and to me that
> makes a big difference: we want to be able to implement init systems in
> Guile just like we implement them in C, and that means we need full
> control over what to do when running as PID 1.  That’s why I wouldn’t do
> anything special in Guile itself (nor in libc).

That sounds reasonable.

> The patch I submitted fixes our immediate problem with build processes,
> so I’d like to have it in ‘core-updates’.
>
> Hopeful as I am, I see us merging ‘core-updates’ in the first half of
> January.  Ambition!  :-)

Cool, let's see if we can get it done!

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim