Subject: Re: bug#30948: [PATCH core-updates] guix: Reap finished child processes in build containers.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 18:46:44 +0100

Hey Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I haven't yet looked at the code, but looking at the bigger picture,
> wouldn't it be a useful behavior to have for Guile itself?  Perhaps not,
> as there already exists a Guile init manager (GNU Shepherd), but if it's
> something relatively simple/compact to implement, perhaps it could find
> its place in Guile itself, just like Bash implements correctly signal
> handling when used as a PID 1 (if I'm not mistaken).

Bash is a shell whereas Guile is a programming language, and to me that
makes a big difference: we want to be able to implement init systems in
Guile just like we implement them in C, and that means we need full
control over what to do when running as PID 1.  That’s why I wouldn’t do
anything special in Guile itself (nor in libc).

The patch I submitted fixes our immediate problem with build processes,
so I’d like to have it in ‘core-updates’.

Hopeful as I am, I see us merging ‘core-updates’ in the first half of
January.  Ambition!  :-)

Ludo’.