Subject: Re: bug#30937: In `comment-region', C-g doesn't work.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 11:21:31 +0000

Hello, Glenn.

On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 20:06:59 -0500, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Noam Postavsky wrote:

> > I'm not able to reproduce this on a Linux tty (I assume that means the
> > virtual terminal you get when pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1).

> Me neither. I tried on two different systems.

> My suggestion is to close this report, since it has been months and
> it doesn't seem to be leading anywhere.

OK, I won't object to closing this bug report, since the bug doesn't
seem to be happening (on Emacs 26.1 and master) at the moment.  I would
object to labelling the closure "not a bug" or "won't fix".

I do, however, raise an eyebrow at the "doesn't seem to be leading
anywhere" justification.  Bugs, particularly difficult bugs (as this one
is) tend "not to be leading anywhere" for a lot of their life times.  It
would be bad just to close such bugs for such reasons, rather than deal
with them.

On a Linux tty, this problem of C-g being non-functional happens to me
relatively often (several times a year), resulting in me having to kill
Emacs and start it again.  Unfortunately I haven't logged these
occurrences at all.  I strongly believe there is a problem in the
keyboard handling area of Emacs, though pinning it down is difficult.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).