Subject: bug#30934: 27.0.50; Emacsclient process in the terminal does not finish

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 18:22:12 +0300

> From: Thomas Hisch <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 13:38:50 +0200
> 
> 
> I have an emacs daemon running (started using emacs --daemon) and want
> to open files on the commandline with emacsclient. I would expect the
> emacsclient command to open the file in an existing frame and return
> immediately. However, emacsclient outputs the "Waiting for Emacs..."
> message and does not return immediately. Is this intended

Yes.

> and what does this message mean if the file is opened in an existing
> frame?

It means emacsclient is waiting for the server to indicate that
editing of the file is done.  This is for programs which invoke an
editor, let the user edit some text, then continue processing that
text after the user finishes editing it.

> There is a --no-wait command line arg, whose help text is "Don't wait
> for the server to return". To me it seems like this should not be used,
> but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, -n does what I want, but the help text was
> not clear to me.

The --no-wait option is exactly what you want.  If you can explain
what was unclear about it in the help text, perhaps we could clarify
that.

Thanks.