Subject: bug#30934: 27.0.50; Emacsclient process in the terminal does not finish

From: Thomas Hisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 01:27:47 +0200

On 2018-03-25 17:22, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Thomas Hisch <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 13:38:50 +0200
>>
>>
>> I have an emacs daemon running (started using emacs --daemon) and want
>> to open files on the commandline with emacsclient. I would expect the
>> emacsclient command to open the file in an existing frame and return
>> immediately. However, emacsclient outputs the "Waiting for Emacs..."
>> message and does not return immediately. Is this intended
> 
> Yes.
> 
>> and what does this message mean if the file is opened in an existing
>> frame?
> 
> It means emacsclient is waiting for the server to indicate that
> editing of the file is done.  This is for programs which invoke an
> editor, let the user edit some text, then continue processing that
> text after the user finishes editing it.
> 
>> There is a --no-wait command line arg, whose help text is "Don't wait
>> for the server to return". To me it seems like this should not be used,
>> but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, -n does what I want, but the help text was
>> not clear to me.
> 
> The --no-wait option is exactly what you want.  If you can explain
> what was unclear about it in the help text, perhaps we could clarify
> that.

The man page clearly explains what emacsclient is doing (I didn't look 
at the man-page before). It would have helped me if the output of 
emacsclient -h were a bit more verbose, but I guess that its sparse 
output is intended.

This ticket can be closed.
> Thanks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Diese E-Mail enthaelt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschuetzte 
Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese 
E-Mail irrtuemlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den 
Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie 
die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. 
If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail 
in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. 
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material 
in this e-mail is strictly prohibited

IMS Nanofabrication GmbH
FN: 208021 p, FB-Gericht: Wien;
Sitz: Schreygasse 3, 1020, Vienna (Austria),Tel. +43 1 214 48 94; 
E-Mail: [email-masked]; DVR-Nr: 0374369; www.ims.co.at