Subject: bug#30929: closed (Re: bug#30929: 26.0.91; Text drag and drop does not work)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 19:25:04 +0000

Your bug report

#30929: 26.0.91; [macOS] Text drag and drop does not work

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30929: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30929
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30929: 26.0.91; Text drag and drop does not work
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: Nick Helm <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 19:23:52 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 11:38:33PM +1300, Nick Helm wrote:
> 
> I like the default modifier actions - they match how drag and drop works
> on my other apps. I was worried having the modifiers independent of the
> Emacs modifiers might be a bit confusing with non-default bindings, but
> in practice it doesn't cause me any trouble.

Excellent.

> I also tried as many different dnd operations as I could think of. They
> all worked as expected except one - when I try to open a malformed URL
> Emacs creates a spurious buffer and freezes momentarily (C-g to clear).
> Specifically, I selected the text "file://~/test.txt" in TextEdit.app
> and dropped it into Emacs with Alt/Opt held down. Properly formed URLs
> work as expected and open the file.

I’ve dug into this a bit and I think that’s actually a valid URL as
far as Emacs is concerned. I’m not sure what protocol it’s trying to
use, but it matches the form file://hostname/filename. I assume the
freeze you see is it doing a lookup and if left long enough it will
time out (although it’s an extraordinarily long timeout if true).

I’ll push this to master now.
-- 
Alan Third

Subject: 26.0.91; Text drag and drop does not work
From: Nick Helm <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 01:28:11 +1300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On MacOS text drag-n-drop does not work out of the box. Also a dnd 
event seems to be bound to different functions depending on modifier 
settings.

Emacs -Q

C-h v ns-command-modifier -> "It's value is super"

C-h k <drag and drop external text> 
  -> "<M-s-drag-n-drop> is undefined"

(setq ns-command-modifier 'none)
C-h k <drag and drop external text>
  -> "<M-drag-n-drop> at that spot runs the command
      ns-drag-n-drop-as-text"

(setq ns-command-modifier 'control)
C-h k <drag and drop external text>
  -> "<C-M-drag-n-drop> at that spot runs the command
      ns-drag-n-drop-as-text-other-frame"

etc

In GNU Emacs 26.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin17.4.0, NS appkit-1561.20 Version 10.13.3 (Build 17D102))
 of 2018-03-22 built on jupiter.local
Repository revision: f8cad16bb3272a8069b3008019f9d18516aef1a5
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1561
Recent messages:
Opening nnimap server on Office365...
Opening connection to localhost via shell...
Opening connection to localhost...done
Opening nnimap server on Office365...done
Opening nntp server on Gmane...done
1 new newsgroup has arrived
Checking new news...
Reading active file via nnnil...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done

Configured using:
 'configure --with-gnutls=no'

Configured features:
JPEG NOTIFY ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_NZ.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  savehist-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow gnus-cite sort mail-extr nnir emacsbug sendmail gnus-demon
nndraft nnmh cl-extra help-mode utf-7 network-stream nsm auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs starttls nnfolder nnnil
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache
gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message rmc puny seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit time dired-x
easymenu dired dired-loaddefs pcase savehist easy-mmode iso-transl
edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib gv plain-theme time-date tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win
ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 282192 18056)
 (symbols 48 28457 1)
 (miscs 40 54 283)
 (strings 32 54201 2932)
 (string-bytes 1 1603692)
 (vectors 16 43788)
 (vector-slots 8 823234 17468)
 (floats 8 217 385)
 (intervals 56 246 0)
 (buffers 992 16))