Subject: bug#30929: 26.0.91; Text drag and drop does not work

From: Nick Helm <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 23:38:33 +1300

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 5:20 AM, Alan Third <[email-masked]> wrote:
> No problem. Can you have a look at the attached. It’s not as 
> ambitious
> as we discussed, but it does pretty much the minimum required to make
> drag and drop usable.
> 
> If you think the defaults I’ve chosen don’t make sense, I’m 
> happy to
> change them. I don’t ever use drag and drop, so I don’t know 
> what’s
> really useful for people.

Thanks, this is a big improvement.

I like the default modifier actions - they match how drag and drop works
on my other apps. I was worried having the modifiers independent of the
Emacs modifiers might be a bit confusing with non-default bindings, but
in practice it doesn't cause me any trouble.

I also tried as many different dnd operations as I could think of. They
all worked as expected except one - when I try to open a malformed URL
Emacs creates a spurious buffer and freezes momentarily (C-g to clear).
Specifically, I selected the text "file://~/test.txt" in TextEdit.app
and dropped it into Emacs with Alt/Opt held down. Properly formed URLs
work as expected and open the file.

Thanks again for working on this.

Nick