Subject: bug#30917: 26.0.91; True color emacs in termite

From: Oliver Laslett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 10:30:47 +0000

I have some odd behviour in emacs 26.0.91 with my color theme.
I am using termite terminal emulator (with true color support) and
when running `emacs -nw` I get a broken theme using reduced color set.
However, if I run `sudo emacs -nw` my theme shows correctly.

As I understand, emacs determines true color support using terminfo. Is
emacs calling a command that may require root user privileges? How could
I debug this (apologies, long term emacs user, first bug report!)?

In GNU Emacs 26.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.28)
 of 2018-03-21 built on slaptop
Repository revision: f8cad16bb3272a8069b3008019f9d18516aef1a5
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
Recent messages:
Saving file /home/owl/.xmobarrc...
Wrote /home/owl/.xmobarrc
Saving file /home/owl/.xmobarrc...
Wrote /home/owl/.xmobarrc
Saving file /home/owl/.xmobarrc...
Wrote /home/owl/.xmobarrc
Saving file /home/owl/.xmobarrc...
Wrote /home/owl/.xmobarrc
Saving file /home/owl/.xmobarrc...
Wrote /home/owl/.xmobarrc

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xaw3d --without-gpm --without-m17n-flt
 --without-imagemagick 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe
 -fstack-protector-strong -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now
 -fuse-ld=gold''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE
LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD
LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  ivy-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
misearch multi-isearch colir color cl-extra help-mode dired
dired-loaddefs elec-pair dracula-theme ivy delsel ivy-overlay ffap
thingatpt finder-inf info package easymenu epg-config url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 164314 8575)
 (symbols 48 24991 2)
 (miscs 40 96 201)
 (strings 32 47287 1228)
 (string-bytes 1 1230703)
 (vectors 16 20042)
 (vector-slots 8 572714 10430)
 (floats 8 225 461)
 (intervals 56 260 146)
 (buffers 992 14))