Subject: bug#30893: report problem: cannot book guixSD from libreboot

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 17:08:48 -0400

retitle 30893 cannot boot guixSD from libreboot
thanks

Hi,

Wensheng Xie <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have downloaded:
> https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guixsd-install-0.14.0.x86_64-linux.iso.xz
>
> And follow the instruction
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/USB-Stick-and-DVD-Installation.html#USB-Stick-and-DVD-Installation
> to make the DVD.
>
> The DVD is ok to boot from a normal laptop (without libreboot).
> When I insert the DVD to my laptop with libreboot, and reboot to boot configuration, and select
> *Search ISOLINUX menu (CD/DVD) (d)

Instead of "Search ISOLINUX menu", could you try using "Search for GRUB2
configuration on external media"?  This is the method I've used in the
past on my Libreboot X60 and Libreboot X200 machines.

The last time I researched it, I learned that booting from USB in
Libreboot was somewhat unreliable, at least in some configurations.  It
might depend on which USB port you use, so please try different USB
ports.  It might depend on the USB stick, so maybe try another stick.
It might also be important to have the USB stick plugged in before you
power up the machine.  Finally, it might be a matter of chance, so you
might need to try it several times before it works.

Please let us know how it goes.

    Regards,
      Mark