Subject: Re: bug#30890: Hash mismatch for /gnu/store/bvbs19jg8497ca73i82xmrjspd83lvs2-usb.ids

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 18:24:00 +0100

Vivien,

On 2018-03-21 7:54, Vivien Kraus wrote:
> I don't know on what the hash depends; maybe it also depends on the
> URL?

It depends only on the contents. This allows us to use a list of 
different URIs (see the lsof package for an example) or try many 
different mirror://s as long as they serve the right file.

> Should I change the hash in virtualization.scm?

In general: yes, but not without prior investigation.

The server might be serving a temporary error page instead of a usable 
tarball (SF.net is currently notorious for doing so), or the tarball 
might have been updated in-place (and you'll have to manually diff the 
contents to make sure it's legitimate), or it might just be a problem 
with your network, or...

Pushing a hash update without explanation in the commit message will 
result in lots of spam from people like me. Avoid that.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.