Subject: Re: bug#30874: 27.0.50; Emacs crashes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 06:02:36 +0300

> From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 00:16:37 +0200
> 
> I added some debug to libXft. When the set-fonset-font is executed,
> Xft loads /usr/share/fonts/eosrei-emojione/emojione-android.ttf. Some
> of the glyphs in that font cause Xft to allocate 16384 bytes of bitmap
> buffer, which is what causes the problems [1]. If I move that font out
> of the way I get no crash. I think we're back to a
> variant of Bug #30045.

Thanks!

Jan, do you also see this font loaded in your case?

So how do we end up loading that problematic font, and why does that
happen with the recipe for this bug, but not if set-fonset-font on the
command line is omitted?

It looks like this is a problem with all color emoji fonts, so this is
indeed a duplicate of bug#30045.  See this bug:

  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1498269

The question now becomes: how do we avoid loading such fonts, at least
when the xftfont back-end is in use?  Is there any alternative except
telling users to "move such fonts out of the way"?