Subject: Re: bug#30858: 27.0.50; tramp-error: Package `tramp-archive' not supported

From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 18:08:43 +0000

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 2:04 PM Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Try also
>
> (setq debug-ignored-errors (remq 'user-error debug-ignored-errors))
>

 Thanks! So that error was a user-error.. After evaluating that, and M-x
toggle-debug-on-error.. trying to git stage that same tar.xz in Magit
finally gave this backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (user-error "Package `tramp-archive' not
supported")
  signal(user-error ("Package `tramp-archive' not supported"))
  tramp-error(nil user-error "Package `tramp-archive' not supported")
  apply(tramp-error nil user-error "Package `tramp-archive' not supported"
nil)
  tramp-archive-file-name-handler(file-regular-p "/home/kmodi/hugo/
kaushalmodi.gitlab.io/bin/tidy_html5_DEV-Linux-64bit.tar.xz/.git")
  file-regular-p("/home/kmodi/hugo/
kaushalmodi.gitlab.io/bin/tidy_html5_DEV-Linux-64bit.tar.xz/.git")
  magit-git-repo-p("tidy_html5_DEV-Linux-64bit.tar.xz" t)
  magit-stage-untracked(nil)
  magit-stage(nil)
  funcall-interactively(magit-stage nil)
  call-interactively(magit-stage nil nil)
  command-execute(magit-stage)

Looks like something wrong is happening at 2 places?

1. Magit is trying to do something with
"tidy_html5_DEV-Linux-64bit.tar.xz/.git"? When
"tidy_html5_DEV-Linux-64bit.tar.xz" is not actually a dir?
2. And that in turn triggering that tramp error, even when this is a local
file, and shouldn't have tramp involved?
-- 

Kaushal Modi