Subject: [bug#30836] [PATCH 2/3] guix import elpa: use #f for license

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 09:27:56 +0100

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Elpa doesn't supply license information. The current importer pretends that
>> everything is GPL3, which is not true. The importer should not invent license
>> information.
>
> Do you have examples of packages on ELPA that are not GPLv3+?  I don’t
> know if this is the case, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it had a policy
> of requiring GPLv3+ given that Emacs itself is GPLv3+.

The ELPA importer is also used for MELPA, which has no license
requirements. The package that motivated this patch is Deft, which is
MIT-licensed:

   https://jblevins.org/projects/deft/

If GNU ELPA guarantees GPL3, we could keep the old behavior for that
but use #f for MELPA and stable MELPA.

Konrad.