Subject: bug#30822: 25.3; python-shell-send-defun sends only one line

From: David Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 16:05:27 -0400

note: no other Python-related emacs packages are being used;
only the builtin one.

1. create new file "test.py" with following:

def f(x):
    return x+1

2. C-c C-p to run-python

3. place point immediately after "return x+1"

4. C-M-x for python-shell-send-defun

result:

    SyntaxError: 'return' outside function

it appears that only one line is being sent, instead of both lines.

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS appkit-1265.21 Version
10.9.5 (Build 13F1911))
 of 2017-09-12 built on builder10-9.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1561
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
uncompressing python.el.gz...done
Making completion list...
t

delete-backward-char: Text is read-only
Quit

<C-tab> is undefined
mouse-2, RET: find function's definition
uncompressing python.el.gz...done

Load-path shadows:
/Users/daveliu/quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/slime-v2.20/slime-autoloads
hides /Users/daveliu/.emacs.d/elpa/slime-20180308.733/slime-autoloads
/Users/daveliu/quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/slime-v2.20/slime-tests
hides /Users/daveliu/.emacs.d/elpa/slime-20180308.733/slime-tests
/Users/daveliu/quicklisp/dists/quicklisp/software/slime-v2.20/slime hides
/Users/daveliu/.emacs.d/elpa/slime-20180308.733/slime

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils jka-compr
eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func tramp-cache python
tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete
format-spec json map slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu
slime-package-fu slime-references slime-compiler-notes-tree
slime-scratch slime-presentations advice bridge slime-macrostep
macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context slime-fuzzy
slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl elp slime-parse slime
derived edmacro kmacro lisp-mnt gud apropos compile etags xref cl-seq
project eieio eieio-core arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline
easy-mmode pp comint ansi-color ring hyperspec cl-macs thingatpt
browse-url cl tango-dark-theme finder-inf tex-site info slime-autoloads
package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel ns-win ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 337784 17797)
 (symbols 48 30156 0)
 (miscs 40 149 592)
 (strings 32 48025 8240)
 (string-bytes 1 1429236)
 (vectors 16 43362)
 (vector-slots 8 786245 7866)
 (floats 8 339 383)
 (intervals 56 649 397)
 (buffers 976 27))