Subject: Re: bug#30815: 26.0.91; unicode right single quote mark with syntax entry of w not respected by forward-word

From: Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 19:43:03 -0700

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 7:24 PM, Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I think leaving the whole picture to the manual makes more sense.

Works for me. I think that patch will help. Would it be worth updating
`backward-word' as well, it has essentially the same docstring.

> Well, just taking the syntax entry as the sole source of truth and
> ignoring the character script is probably the wrong thing.

Is the case for this when two words of different scripts are next to
each other? I suppose that'd make sense if they also didn't have a
space between them for some reason (probably possible with some
languages)

> Maybe there is some other way to get the wanted behaviour though.  I
> also found Bug#13129 asking about this.

Since the right quote is part of the General Punctuation script
(afaict), what if some scripts, like that one, were treated neutrally?
That is, they derived their behavior solely from the syntax entry.
This is probably a bad idea for a number of reasons I don't even know
I don't know.