Subject: Please increase the value of MAX_MON_WIDTH in ls.c

From: Rafal Luzynski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 01:06:46 +0100 (CET)

As we have introduced the support of nominative and genitive
month names in glibc [1] and we are going to provide the updated
locale data for Catalan language [2] it has been discovered [3]
that the current limit of the maximum length of the abbreviated
month name as displayed by "ls -l" will not work with the new
data for Catalan.  It is obligatory to precede the month name
with "de " (note: the space) so the abbreviated month names limited
to 5 characters will be ambiguous and therefore unreadable:

de ma  (should be "de mar" at least)
d’abr  (correct)
de ma  (should be "de mai" at least)
de ju  (should be "de jun" at least)
de ju  (should be "de jul" at least)

Increasing the value of MAX_MON_WIDTH to 6 characters will fix
the problem. The location of the constant is here: [4]

Although it has been also suggested in the same bug report that
there should be no additional limit for the month length.

This bug may be related with the coreutils bug #29377. [5]

Regards,

Rafal Luzynski

[1] https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=10871
[2] https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=22848
[3] https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=22848#c6
[4] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/ls.c#n1099
[5] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=29377