Subject: bug#3081: 23.0.92;x-list-fonts no longer gives correct result - substitutes * forfixed font size

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:36:03 -0700

Some more info.

In the frames that use this font as their default font, I see these differences:

Emacs 22:
(font . "-outline-Courier-normal-i-normal-normal-5-37-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1")

Emacs 23:
(font . "-outline-Courier-bold-normal-normal-mono-14-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1")
(font-parameter . "-*-Lucida Console-normal-r-*-*-14-112-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1")
(font-backend uniscribe gdi)

Dunno if that helps you figure out the problem. The frame's font size (height)
in Emacs 22 is 5, as defined by my user option `palette-font' (that's the whole
point of the option). 

The font size in Emacs 23 is 14. Perhaps that came indirectly from
`default-frame-alist' somehow? The `font' parameter in `default-frame-alist' is
this (in both Emacs 22 and 23):
(font . "-*-Lucida Console-normal-r-*-*-14-112-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1")

This behavior is in any case completely wrong. My code explicitly sets the
`font' frame parameter to the value of `palette-font' (using
`modify-frame-parameters'). But in Emacs 23 that value incorrectly has a *, not
a 5, for the font height.