Subject: bug#30807: closed (Re: bug#30807: Tramp tests take waaayyy too long and refuse to exit)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 00:03:04 +0000

Your bug report

#30807: Tramp tests take waaayyy too long and refuse to exit

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30807: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30807
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30807: Tramp tests take waaayyy too long and refuse to exit
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 17:02:01 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Albinus wrote:
> The high runners take less time, and the whole duration for tramp-tests
> is 13 sec. This is acceptable, isn't it?

Sounds good to me, and thanks. Closing.

Subject: Tramp tests take waaayyy too long and refuse to exit
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Emacs bug reports <[email-masked]>
Cc: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 13:48:57 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

For the past few weeks "make check" has been taking a looooong time on 
Emacs master on my Fedora 27 desktop (AMD Phenom II X4 910e). The first 
line of "make" output that causes a long delay is:

   GEN      lisp/net/tramp-tests.log

and some of the tests in the corresponding script look to be very slow. 
Can this be sped up? Let's mark the slow tests to be expensive, so that 
they are run only if one executes "make check-expensive".

Worse, there's another long wait here:

   GEN      lisp/net/tramp-archive-tests.log

after this line is output:

    passed  20/22  tramp-archive-test40-file-system-info

and here the wait is so long that I gave up trying to run the tests and 
typed control-C to exit them. Presumably the semi-inflooping test is 
tramp-archive-test42-auto-load. (Why is it 42 and not 41? Why are there 
two test42s? I don't know.)

Worse yet, after I control-C out of "make check" and get a shell prompt 
back, a subsidiary Emacs that is running the Tramp test refuses to exit 
and continues to chew up CPU time in the background until I use "kill 
3304" (or whatever) to kill it. This really needs to get fixed.

Because of these problems I no longer routinely run "make check".