Subject: bug#30807: Tramp tests take waaayyy too long and refuse to exit

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 17:41:16 +0100

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Paul,

> On my host the top four tests by time are now the following: could
> they be sped up or marked expensive?
>
> test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.log:44:   passed  36/42
> tramp-test38-special-characters (13.277773 sec)
> test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.log:21:   passed  13/42
> tramp-test11-copy-file (23.924346 sec)
> test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.log:22:   passed  14/42
> tramp-test12-rename-file (25.823506 sec)
> test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.log:33:   passed  25/42
> tramp-test21-file-links (47.680492 sec)

This are times counted with TEST_LOAD_EL=yes. I've committed
2d0853f62ac65f974f25887f69506bfe923bf14b, which changes the defaults
(see also README). Rerunning the tests shall show improved timings.

I don't want to set these tests as expensive, because they check
essential Tramp features. But as said the other message, I will work to
make them slimmer.

> Also, why not make the TEST_PRINT_TEST_DURATION=1 the default? It's a
> minor hassle to remember to type "make TEST_PRINT_TEST_DURATION=1".

I have no opinion on this. Glenn? Eli?

Best regards, Michael.