Subject: bug#30807: Tramp tests take waaayyy too long and refuse to exit

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 17:33:47 -0400

Michael Albinus wrote:

>> Things are much faster for me with TEST_LOAD_EL=no (35s v 1m35s). 
[...]
> This explains indeed the differences between Emacs 26 and 27.

No it doesn't, because that setting is the same in both branches?
Some individual tramp tests are just much slower than they used to be.

# test                                       emacs-26  master     ratio
tramp-test38-special-characters              6.894584  7.764409   1.12616
tramp-test15-copy-directory                  1.457630  2.458257   1.68648
tramp-test09-insert-file-contents            0.663612  1.775478   2.67548
tramp-test10-write-region                    1.338635  4.284001   3.20028
tramp-test08-file-local-copy                 0.442265  1.634770   3.69636
tramp-test14-delete-directory                0.327652  1.631007   4.97786
tramp-test12-rename-file                     2.129018  12.651678  5.94249
tramp-test11-copy-file                       1.838603  11.472515  6.2398
tramp-test13-make-directory                  0.234813  1.559038   6.63949
tramp-test21-file-links                      2.930289  21.953540  7.49194

> I agree with you, for default runs like a simple "make check",
> TEST_LOAD_EL shall be set to "no". If there's a problem, one runs
> "make -C test <file>" anyway, which should use an unset TEST_LOAD_EL
> per default.

Sounds good to me.