Subject: Re: [bug#30797] [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Add emacs-exec-path-from-shell

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 15:42:03 +0100

Hi Oleg,

>> +     "This library allows the user to set Emacs' @code{exec-path} and
>
> I still think this apostrophe is unnecessary.  I removed it if you don't
> mind.  ;-)

Well, I don't mind, but according to rules of English grammar, it's
either "Emacs'" or "Emacs's'" but not simply "Emacs". See for example:

   http://www.grammar.cl/rules/genitive-case.htm

   4. Singular noun ending in –s:

   It depends…
   a. Most names: add 's (apostrophe S)

   * They had a really good time at James’s barbecue last Friday. 
   * We spent the day admiring Frances’s new car. 

   b. Classical or religious names: add ' (only the apostrophe)

   * Jesus’ disciples carried out the teachings of Jesus. 
   * Sophocles’ plays are still performed today. 

> And in the description, we could use ‘@var’ instead of ‘@code’:
>
> -This library allows the user to set Emacs @code{exec-path} and
> +This library allows the user to set Emacs @var{exec-path} and

I actually hesitated in this case, after consulting the Texinfo manual:

   7.1.7 @var{metasyntactic-variable}

   Use the @var command to indicate metasyntactic variables. A
   metasyntactic variable is something that stands for another piece of
   text. For example, you should use a metasyntactic variable in the
   documentation of a function to describe the arguments that are passed
   to that function.

   Do not use @var for the names of normal variables in computer
   programs. These are specific names, so @code is correct for them
   (@code). For example, the Emacs Lisp variable texinfo-tex-command is
   not a metasyntactic variable; it is properly formatted using @code.

I must confess I don't understand the difference between a metasyntactic
variable and a normal variable. The examples don't help: for me, a
function argument is just a pre-initialized "normal" variable.

> Pushed with changes above as 22d628148ce857b620f5b8e48dc7cabe004313c5
>
> I'll close the bug report.

Great, thanks!

Konrad.