Subject: Re: bug#30760: guix system init broken on non GuixSD

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 00:19:52 +0100

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

> [huge build]
>> The current tradeoff is to make that diagnostic based on the running
>> kernel, even if it’s an approximation.
>
> Ah, good point.
>
>> If that’s fine with you I’d like to fix this bug with the conservative
>> patch below.
>
> Sure, looks good.

Pushed as 8d5c14edf5a6d01f859b1aa00c836ffdb5ddecf4.

> While we are approximating we could also in a later version fall back to
> (the host system's) "`cat /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe` --showconfig" - it
> could be used to find aliases.
>
> But maybe that would make it brittle.  Hmm...

Yeah, I don’t think it’d make a big difference.

BTW, we should add a ‘--skip-checks’ option to ‘guix system’ so that
users can skip those checks.  That’d provide an escape hatch in case
‘check-device-initrd-modules’ makes the wrong diagnostic.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.