Subject: bug#30755: closed (Re: bug#30755: 25.3; Encoding of load-file-name wrongwhenpathtoworking dir does not contain accented letter)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 13:39:03 +0000

Your bug report

#30755: 25.3; Encoding of load-file-name wrong when path to working dir does not contain accented letter

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
30755: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30755
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#30755: 25.3; Encoding of load-file-name wrongwhenpathtoworking dir does not contain accented letter
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Márton Marczell <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 16:38:44 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Márton Marczell <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 15:06:20 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> The patch fixed the problem for me.

Thanks, I therefore pushed the patch to the master branch.

It is too late to make such changes on the release branch for Emacs
26.1, but if there going to be Emacs 26.2, I will backport the change
to it after Emacs 26.1 is released.

Thank you for all your help in tracking down this elusive problem.

I'm closing the bug.

Subject: 25.3; Encoding of load-file-name wrong when path to working dir does not contain accented letter
From: Márton Marczell <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 12:22:05 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

My Windows username is Márton.
In one of the files loaded by my .emacs (neotree.el), I added this line:
   (print load-file-name)

1. I start Emacs from the command line with no arguments.
2. I view the *Messages* buffer.

If the directory from which I launched Emacs has an accent in its path,
e.g. "D:\á\", this is printed:
"c:/Users/Márton/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/neotree-0.5.2/neotree.el"
But if it doesn't, e.g. "D:\a\", this is printed:
"c:/Users/MÃ¡rton/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/neotree-0.5.2/neotree.el"

(This prevents the neotree package from loading images in the latter case.)
Please see also bug#25038, which seems related.

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2017-09-26 built on LAPHROAIG
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.16299
Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -static -g3' PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/mingw64/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: HUN
  locale-coding-system: cp1250

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:

"TATTARAA TATTARAA TATTARAA"

"c:/Users/Márton/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/neotree-0.5.2/neotree.el"

"c:/Users/Márton/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/elpa/neotree-0.5.2/"

Loading c:/Users/Márton/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d/custom.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode cursor-sensor js2-mode etags xref project js
sgml-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs imenu dired neotree derived finder-inf package
epg-config sql view thingatpt edmacro kmacro python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-compat auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs gnus-util
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver
ucs-normalize shell pcomplete format-spec advice json map seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv comint ring
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib ansi-color time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 370288 19749)
 (symbols 56 34419 0)
 (miscs 48 60 234)
 (strings 32 62682 11501)
 (string-bytes 1 1969857)
 (vectors 16 54523)
 (vector-slots 8 895948 6275)
 (floats 8 467 185)
 (intervals 56 909 73)
 (buffers 976 20))